We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Terrariums, a trendy decorative object
Terrariums have been on the rise for years. This manual activity allows you to have your own plant biotope in miniature version in our interiors. Nowadays, the terrarium is designed with a geometric terrarium Himmeli version or fun with small plastic figurines of flashy dinosaurs.
Terrariums can also be hung, using macrame. If you opt for this type of terrarium, it is necessary to have a container that is open on the side, in order to easily provide the necessary care for your plants and let them breathe.
It also exists open terrariums, created in glass bowls. It must be between 20 and 30cm wide, and its height must not exceed 10cm. You will be able to create a real urban jungle, using succulents and cacti.
And to take nothing away from the charms of the terrarium, it is easy as everything its own terrarium without even having a specially green hand. We give you our little tips
What do you need to make your terrarium?
For make your terrarium, it is necessary to choose your material carefully. The advantage? It is very affordable to create your own terrarium and it can even give great gift ideas!
- a glass container: it can be an aquarium or any jar that has a fairly large opening. Let your creativity speak at the turn of a garage sale
- small stones for drainage
- of earth - special cacti if it is the type of plants you have chosen
- small plants, succulent types or cacti. Do not hesitate to inquire in the garden center to find out which plants are suitable for growing in terrariums!
Building your terrarium: the steps
In a few easy steps, even if you don't have a green thumb, your terrarium comes to life.
- 1. Clean your container
- 2. Start by installing a layer of small pebbles at the bottom of your container so that the drainage is done properly
- 3. Add a layer of sand
- 4. Pour the earth
- 5. Plant your plants - don't have your eyes bigger than your stomach, don't place too many plants in your terrarium: space is limited!
Which plants are suitable for the terrarium?
Some plants are more suitable than others for terrarium cultivation. In hanging terrariums, favor plants such as ferns and succulents. Carnivorous plants are also suitable for the terrarium, especially if you are creating a sectional model.
You can install flowers in a terrarium, to bring color to the whole. The permanent humidity of the terrarium is particularly suitable for butterfly orchids.
The mistakes to avoid with a terrarium
No need to have a green thumb to take care of your terrarium. But it is necessary to know the mistakes not to make in order not to see your terrarium die or rot.
- Beware of watering: in terrariums, as water cannot flow, care must be taken not to over-water. Even if succulents like water, there is a great risk of causing the roots to rot if there is too much watering. It is better to water your terrarium in a moderate and regular manner in order to maintain an adequate humidity level.
- Watch out for poorly lit corners: succulents like cacti love light. Take care to install your terrarium well next to a natural light source. Also remember to regularly move your terrarium so that your plants grow harmoniously - a plant will always tend to grow towards the light.